WellTrust

YOUTH ALCOHOL & DRUG SERVICE

WellTrust Logo

Youth

We educate about the effect of drugs on the developing teenage brain and help young people to reduce harm and to understand why, at this critical stage in their life, they ought not to use drugs. We work with the whole person from the inside out.

Youth|Other Drugs| Magic Mushrooms

mushroom.jpgThere are many different kinds of magic mushrooms found around the world. It is illegal to possess, or purchase, magic mushrooms in New Zealand and they are classified as a class A drug. However, because they grow freely they are easy to collect if you know what you are looking for. Problem is, many of the mushrooms you will find are very poisonous and people getting ill from picking the wrong kind is very common.

The amount of the hallucinogenic compound (Psilocybin) in mushrooms varies widely from species to species. High doses of Magic Mushrooms can send you on a trip that you may not be prepared for and can be quite scary.

An average Magic Mushroom trip will last about 4 - 6 hours.

The strength of Magic Mushrooms varies considerably depending on the type, age, recent rain and soil conditions. Mushrooms from the same batch vary and some are more toxic than others, therefore it is impossible to know how much Psilocybin you have taken and this could result in you becoming highly intoxicated.

Users may experience light headedness and a feeling of wellbeing, and/or 'hallucinations' usually in the form of distorted visual perceptions and a loss of touch with reality. Some people may think that they can "see" music or "hear" colours.  Others find that their sense of time, space and body image is distorted.

Short-term effects of magic mushrooms may include:

  • dry mouth
  • exaggerated reflexes
  • dilated pupils (causing blurred vision)
  • confusion, disorientation and possibly agitation 
  • numbness, particularly facial numbness (paresthesia)
  • muscle weakness and twitching
  • dizziness, nausea and vomiting
  • sweating and increased body temperature followed by chills and shivering.

Sometimes effects are unpredictable and intense, and can cause a person to feel anxious and experience panic attacks.

After the effects of the mushrooms wear off a user may feel tired, depressed and lethargic for a few days.

The main risks involved when using magic mushrooms is picking the wrong mushrooms and poisoning of users. Many poisonous mushrooms are very similar in appearance to Magic mushrooms and even the experts can find it difficult to distinguish one from another. Toxic mushrooms can cause nausea and diarrhea through to coma and death.

What are the long-term effects?

There appear to be no long term physical effects; and although some peole may experinece a negative mental effect like Hallucinogen Persisting Perceptual Disorder from regular high use, this is rare.  HPPD is where the person has continual sensory distrubances, and most commonly these are of a visual nature.








Emergency Help Numbers

Alcohol Drug Helpline
0800 787 797
Police
111
Psychiatric Emergency Service
0800 653 357
Youthline
0800 376 633

WellTrust Contact Information

Level 2, 14 Laings Road, PO Box 30933
Lower Hutt, New Zealand
p 04 5680370    f 04 5680379
e Email Us

 

WellTrust Newsletter

Interested in receiving our e-newsletter every quarter?
Read more...